Saturday, March 6, 2010

An Amazing Birthday

Sometimes I think I forget how much I enjoy being with people. I live alone, and I love living alone, doing my own thing, and just living life. But I love being with people too. I love one on one, and I love small groups and big groups. I get focused in on the narrow base of people that I interact with on a pretty much daily basis, and I so easily forget how much I enjoy the company of so many people.

I hadn't really thought about what I wanted to do for my birthday this year. Then my sister was asking if I was going to be working that night, and I hadn't thought about it, and she said that she wanted to throw me a birthday party. And I've been excited about it ever since. I didn't want a night to sit at home and lick my wounds and be sad that I'm alone...or off working to avoid that. And so I've been excited.

And I was going off to a salon (yes I did pamper myself just a wee bit Deanna!), and my sister was stressing because she felt like she hadn't planned as well as she hoped. And I just got tears in my eyes, thinking about the great love that my sister has for me, and how she'd put herself through this stress and whatever, so that I could have a great birthday.

And I got a barrage of birthday wishes from people all day long. I went to go up and pick up my car today, and pay the $1600 I owed for it. Then I had to go to the courthouse and find out that I couldn't pay my ticket yet because of whatever issues. But it's like, there were well-wishers all throughout the day to make those things not matter, and just bring me back to my happy place, and remember that it was an amazing thing to be born.

24 years ago. 24 years ago I arrived on this earth. It's been a rough life. But it's been a beautiful life. I don't really expect there to be less pain and hardship than there has been in the last 24 years. I expect there will probably be more. But I expect to be able to bear it with more happiness. I've learned how to at times have the heart-wrenching joy that comes with being happy at the same time my heart is breaking.

And today I got to celebrate my life, hearing from so many people, having their care, then getting to have so many friends and family around me as my sister threw a birthday party for me, and to talk and laugh and play games. Every wish of a happy birthday made me feel just that much better. Every gift that was given made me that much happier. Every hug and call and text, just made it a great day.

I've been thinking about being 24, and I like the number. "It's a good number," I said to Emily, and so she wrote it on my cake, lol. It's gonna be a good year.

And next year on my birthday, I'm going to the hospital where I was born, and I'm gonna celebrate my birth minute there! You're all invited, so anyone who wants to join me, start planning now! It's gonna be awesome!

(And once again uber thanks to my sister for being amazing and awesome and making this birthday amazing, and to all of you for making this the best birthday I have ever had. Everyone should have every birthday be like this :)... (though hopefully not having to pay $1600 is car repairs lol!))

2 comments:

  1. I am sooooo glad that you were happy with your party. Sorry about your car :( stupid delicious bread pudding!

    Thanks for helping when I got stressed, and for not being annoyed that I got stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a happy birthday, Jennie! Many happy returns on the day. Maybe next year I'll be well enough to travel and I can come and celebrate the 25th anniversary of your birth minute with you there. That would be pretty funny, =). You're such a great friend. I'm super glad it was a good day for you.

    ReplyDelete