Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sometimes I want to crawl into a hole. I want to make my own little world, where I can shut out all the stupid things that people do. I want to forget that I live in a world where people murder, where people rape, where people abuse children. I want to forget that I live in a world where people use alcohol and drugs to solve their problems. I want to forget that violence is rampant, and people make a mockery of some of the most sacred and beautiful things there are on the earth.

Because thinking about these things can make me weep. It makes me feel overwhelmed. It makes me wonder what difference my own little life can make, and how much happier I could be if I just lived blissfully ignorant in my little hole, and didn't know the horrible things that happened outside of it. It all seems like too much, and in my little hole, I can control things, I don't have to worry about the bad decisions other people make.

But staying in my little hole won't change that the world is like that. Ignoring those things, wanting to run away from these harsh realities, it won't change one thing. And so I step out. I step out and trust that my tiny little ripples matter, that they can make waves that will change the earth, and that the world is a better place because I am out of my hole. And I realize, if nothing else, I am a better person, just for trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment